Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Weightlifting shoe reviews by KenCFY

"Weightlifting shoes? C'mon, are you serious? Do they really make that much of a difference?"

I had been crossfitting for about 5 months when I asked that question. After all, I saw all the other athletes at the box wearing those awkward looking shoes with their goofy soccer socks as if they thought they were trying to win a gold medal or something. I figured it was all about being part of the "cult", and I just dismissed buying those shoes altogether.

But as I became more proficient w/ the power lifts (dead, squats, and presses) and oly lifts, I became more aware of what my feet doing...or more importantly what they weren't supposed to do.  I realized how unstable I felt in a lift from setup and start to finish. Now 3 years later, I firmly believe a decent pair of weightlifting (WL) shoes is the single most important piece of equipment you can invest in to improve your performance NOW.

Check out this video to see what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrJfOi5rnlU&NR=1

You can spend anywhere from $60 to $200 on WL shoes. Now I'm not saying more expensive is better. But in some makes/models, you get what you pay for.

So here are a few pairs from least to most expensive. This list is by no means all-inclusive, but it should give you an idea of what's out there.

1. VS Dynamo (http://www.vsathletics.com/product.php?xProd=1917)
Ahhh, my first WL shoe ever. You never forget your first.
Pros: Great starter shoe; light (doesn't hinder pullups, for example); affordable price
Cons: Breaks down in a short period of time, velcro straps aren't all that sturdy; moderate lateral roll (more than I liked); slight forward roll; wasn't a big fan of black/red styling
Overall: Decent shoe for the price. But I should've paid a bit more for a pair that lasted longer

2. Rogue Do-Win (http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-equipment/rogue-do-wins/rogue-weightlifting-shoes.php)
Highly popular and perhaps the best-seller among crossfitters everywhere
Pros: Excellent shoe; above average durability; moderate weight - can still do many types of WODs (even with double unders); has slightly lower heel than VS and other models, which helps keeps hamstrings engaged in powerlifts; nice styling; less roll than the VS
Cons: $120 price tag + plus shipping may be too rich for your blood; women tend to have sizing issues
Overall: With the exception of the price, you can't go wrong here.

3. Nike Romaleos
Nike's holy grail answer to weightlifting comes in at way steep price but with excellent performance
Pros: Highly stable. It's like wearing ski boots. As long as you hit the ground flat, you're gonna stick. Virtually no lateral or forward roll. Excellent velcro strap system. Takes a beating - highly durable. These shoes love oly lifting. Nice styles.
Cons: $190 + plus shipping - Very steep price. Very difficult to perform other WODs - forget about box jumps and DU's are manageable but pretty tough. Pullups feel weighted if wear these.
Overall: Now I somewhat biased b/c I own a pair. No way in hell did I pay full price though. I picked mine up from Ebay for $140, and I'm so glad I did. I love these shoes, but I'm well aware of their limitations.

Well that was just a snapshot of the shoes I've either owned or tried on. They are obviously other makes and models out there. So do your research. But I guarantee that any WL shoe you purchase will make a quick and positive difference. Happy hunting!



No comments:

Post a Comment